6 Tips & Tricks for Riding NYC Public Transportation with Kids
Getting around the city with kids can seem tricky, but it doesn’t have to be!
Get can’t-miss family activities sent to you!
Get the Best Kid-Friendly Activities
Sent to You Weekly!
The Undercover Tourist offers some extra tips for being street smart in the city with kids:
- Always use crosswalks
- Always enter subway cars or buses together
- Come up with a family plan for what to do if you become separated
- Make sure everyone is wearing comfortable shoes!
NYC Students Can Qualify for a Student MetroCard
Your child’s school might distribute MetroCards that allow kids to transfer between subways and buses for free. Kids can use their cards for three rides each school day. Contact your child’s school for more information.
Staying Safe on Public Transportation During the Pandemic
Subways and buses are taking extra steps to ensure your safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are ways you and your family can keep yourselves safe:
- Sanitize your hands before and after getting on the subway, bus, or into a taxi, Uber, or Lyft
- Wear face masks at all times (you are required to do so for Ubers)
- Open the windows in taxis or other ride-share services to allow for better ventilation
- Avoid touching your face when you travel
- Don’t forget the hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, or your family’s preferred method of disinfecting little hands when there’s no sink around!